Saturday, February 11, 2012
MFSE-15 (aka GP-7)
No.1230 was one of 52 EMD GP-7s built by General Motors for Erie, and it rolled off the assembly line in February of 1952 along with 1228 and 1229. (Erie Power, Westing and Staufer, p440, 1970). Sporting 1500 hp and a great 'utility fielder' of the iron road, the GP-7 (or "Geep" 7) could run at speed for months on end, but it could not "lug-it" like the Baldwins could. The twin headlight was found on all of the Erie GP-7s after the first two, 1200 and 1201, which both had one big headlight.