Sunday, July 8, 2012

Table Top Terminal

Author's collection

I found this at a local used book store several years ago pre-dating (and maybe piquing?) my interest in the railroad action around New York Harbor. Interesting notes include explanation of the cut in the middle to keep the car floats from sticking out into the river too far and that its motive power, Harlem Transfer Alco-GE-IR boxcab #2, operated there in 1959.

The plan appears to be the same one in the December 22, 1898 issue of Engineering News found on Phil M Golden's Harlem Transfer page on his excellent web site with the same North arrow mistake (it is pointing South).

So why do I post this now? Well, it might be the next pocket terminal I construct. I'm leaning towards doing it rather than the Erie 28th mainly because other people have already done the 28th St yard (David Ramos and Vince Lee). The 28th is still in the running, though. It may come down to a coin flip, or there may be a dark horse that sneaks in at the last minute surprising me and everyone.

Author's collection

3 comments:

  1. My vote is for Harlem Transfer (being a DL&W fan). I think the interesting track geometry will keep you challenged and busy for awhile. Maybe some of Tim's special jigs he used on his Bronx Terminal would come in handy here. :)

    All in all it's one of my favorite pocket terminals, along with Wallabout on the DL&W also.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did start looking at the track arrangement, and it's not as complicated as Tim's Bronx Terminal. I might be able to get away with #4 turnouts if I tried, but the overall dimensions of the yard would probably change a bit. I completely agree that it is fun and unique, and it is definitely one of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That settles it then.. Get busy! And I expect to see progress shots within a month or two. ;)

    ReplyDelete